HUD secretary Ben Carson: Poverty is largely 'a state of mind'

Elaine
5/25/2017 12:52 pm EST
5/25/2017 5:52 pm GMT

May 25, 2017
Washington - Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson said in an interview Wednesday that having "the wrong mindset" contributes to poverty.
Read More

Winner of Alien-Earth's Dumb Ass of the Day Award!

:sburns:

Well medicated for your protection. ॐ ♡

katya
5/25/2017 1:21 pm EST
5/25/2017 6:21 pm GMT

RE: HUD secretary Ben Carson: Poverty is largely 'a state of mind'

I think in some instances, Carson is correct. I live in an area with much generational poverty. Some of these people literally know no other way to live. That said, I've seen some crawl out of it, and their state of mind had everything to do with it. I feel sorry for the kids who think that they have no choices or options other than being dirt poor and hungry.

Pocahontas would not be proud of her as her representative.

Anonymous Coward
6/24/2017 9:51 am EST
6/24/2017 2:51 pm GMT

Why is it dumb?

He's right!

People who grew up in poverty have an amazing capacity for self-sabotage later in life, that wrecks their chances of rising out of it. I've witnessed it up close.

Ben Carson grew up poor, so he knows! Most people stay poor because - while there is less room for error - they make bad Life Choices, have too much pride, look more at missed opportunities than future ones, socialize with people who bring them down and have a negative attitude about success.

Know what the most fatal thing is for people at the margins? A victim complex. Even if they *are* victims, a victim complex is poison for them because it impedes climbing out of it.

People are also reluctant to leave their comfort zone. Poverty is familiar. This is why many lottery winners, celebrities and athletes who come from poor backgrounds go bankrupt and wind up back where they began. It is what they know.

Anonymous Coward
6/24/2017 10:48 am EST
6/24/2017 3:48 pm GMT

^

sounds like a state of mind response to deny factors of realism

Anonymous Coward
6/24/2017 10:51 am EST
6/24/2017 3:51 pm GMT

He's right. It's called scarcity consciousness and it stems from low self worth. 'There isn't enough, I can't have enough", etc...

alienSpaceChimp#34
6/28/2017 3:07 pm EST
6/28/2017 8:07 pm GMT

But it also involves a shortage of money, too.

Ben, quit hitting yourself in the head with that hammer, bub !!

This board is a snookerish, hooberish collection of flibber-jibbets, cornbats and conspiracy clunks

Anonymous Coward
6/28/2017 5:30 pm EST
6/28/2017 10:30 pm GMT

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/us/politics/trump-family-wedding-planner-to-head-new-yorks-federal-housing-office.html

She is clearly not qualified. I have spent a lot of time in NY politics and no fucking way would she have been appointed under my watch.

De Blasio, get off your ass.

Elaine
6/28/2017 5:33 pm EST
6/28/2017 10:33 pm GMT

She is clearly not qualified. I have spent a lot of time in NY politics and no fucking way would she have been appointed under my watch.

fucking incredible, isn't it?
Well medicated for your protection. ॐ ♡

ADVERTISEMENT

Kali Yantra