Page 1, 2

The White House Is Circulating A Doctored Infowars Video

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:00 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:00 pm GMT

The White House Is Circulating A Doctored Infowars Video

White House Uses Doctored Video To Support Claim Against Reporter
Nov 8, 2018
The White House is standing by its decision to revoke the press credentials of CNN correspondent Jim Acosta.
Read More

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/439dyp/the-white-house-is-circulating-a-doctored-infowars-video?utm_source=reddit.com

The White House is promoting an apparently doctored InfoWars video to support a false claim that CNN reporter Jim Acosta placed his hands on a young female intern during a contentious exchange in a press conference with President Trump Wednesday.

The video was first circulated by the conspiracy-theory booster and InfoWars editor Paul Joseph Watson before it was shared by White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Twitter.

The doctored clip appears to be sped up to make it look like Acosta forcefully raised his hand at the intern, bringing it down on the crook of her arm as she tried to physically take away the microphone he was holding. In reality, network video from the press conference shows Acosta already had his arm in the air, pointing at the president, when the intern lunged at him to grab his mic.

The White House did not respond to a VICE News request for comment. Watson, whose outlet, InfoWars, was banned from several social media sites for spreading false information, denies the video was edited. In an interview with BuzzFeed, Watson claimed the only difference to the video was a zoom and posited that any speeding-up effect was caused by digitally processing the clip into a GIF.

But the video was not the only misinformation spread by the White House following the heated press conference, where the president sparred with several other reporters besides Acosta. In a pair of tweets, Sanders also falsely accused Acosta of putting his hands on the young woman.

At the time, Acosta was asking Trump about the his use of the word "invasion" in describing a caravan of Central American refugees slowly approaching the U.S. southern border. Trump called Acosta "rude" and a "terrible person." The White House has since suspended Acosta's press pass, which allows him access to White House grounds.

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:02 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:02 pm GMT

RE: The White House Is Circulating A Doctored Infowars Video

Trump will round you up and gas you soon.

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:04 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:04 pm GMT

vice.com

smiley

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:04 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:04 pm GMT

^ op will believe anything she reads. orange man bad.

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:05 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:05 pm GMT

BuzzFeed

smiley

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:05 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:05 pm GMT

Nothing was more frustrating watching the video of Trump's argument with Acosta than hearing "Thank you, Mr. President" repeatedly. I have all the respect in the world for the members of the Press Corps who can feign respect to a grown man throwing a tantrum, but I really wish we didn't live in a world where their jobs depended on being cooperative and they could stand up to Trump a bit more.

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:06 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:06 pm GMT

Nothing was more frustrating watching the video of Trump's argument with Acosta than hearing "Thank you, Mr. President" repeatedly. I have all the respect in the world for the members of the Press Corps who can feign respect to a grown man throwing a tantrum, but I really wish we didn't live in a world where their jobs depended on being cooperative and they could stand up to Trump a bit more.

cope
smiley

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:30 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:30 pm GMT

Can you point out anything in the Vice link is incorrect?

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:31 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:31 pm GMT

You know how I can prove leftists are encouraging violence?

Lately I have been feeling like punching one in the face. That is how I know.

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:41 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:41 pm GMT

From WaPo:

The edited video looks authentic: Acosta appeared to swiftly chop down on the arm of an aide as he held onto a microphone while questioning President Trump. But in the original video, Acosta's arm appears to move only as a response to a tussle for the microphone. His statement, "Pardon me, ma'am," is not included in the video Sanders shared.

Critics said that video – which sped up the movement of Acosta's arms in a way that dramatically changed the journalist's response – was deceptively edited to score political points. That edited video was first shared by Paul Joseph Watson, known for his conspiracy-theory videos on the far-right website Infowars.

Side-by-side comparisons support claims from fact-checkers and experts such as Jonathan Albright, research director of the Tow Center for Digital Journalism at Columbia University, who argued that crucial parts of the video appear to have been altered so as to distort the action.

A frame-by-frame breakdown by Storyful, a social-media intelligence firm that verifies media content, found that the edited video included repeated frames that did not appear in the original footage. The repeated frames were shown only at the moment of contact and made Acosta's arm movement look more exaggerated, said Shane Raymond, a journalist at Storyful.

"The most dangerous type of fake news and reporting and evidence is when you get into the fine details, the nuanced things that are shaped to present a certain viewpoint or decision or news a certain way," he said. "It's not AI-generated or completely false. It's something that's real but has been literally stretched ... and molded into weaponized evidence."

The Independent has also conducted a frame by frame comparison and analysis proving it was edited.

Naturally, Watson is claiming innocence. LOL

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:44 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:44 pm GMT

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:31 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:31 pm GMT

Yeah, I get it. I feel the same way with every single Trump supporting fascist.

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 3:52 pm EST
11/8/2018 8:52 pm GMT

Yeah, I get it. I feel the same way with every single Trump supporting fascist.

You're a communist so I don't know what's worse.

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 4:36 pm EST
11/8/2018 9:36 pm GMT

We're used to hearing Sarah Sanders lie but using doctored videos that have been shared by InfoWars as evidence feels like a whole new tier of assholery that they can't hide from.

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 4:49 pm EST
11/8/2018 9:49 pm GMT

We're

smiley

katya
11/8/2018 5:33 pm EST
11/8/2018 10:33 pm GMT

They can't seem to make-up their minds...

No Evidence the White House Video of Jim Acosta Was Doctored, Forensic Expert Says

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/qvqpp5/no-evidence-the-white-house-video-of-jim-acosta-was-doctored-forensic-expert-says
Pocahontas still would not be proud of her as her representative.

smiley

Elaine
11/8/2018 5:52 pm EST
11/8/2018 10:52 pm GMT

It was fucked with. I have been a graphic artist and videographer and photoshop user for decades. But what the hell, I can't be an "expert" eventhough they used to pay me 80K and up to do it professionally.

But if the White House is spewing propaganda films out of that orange shit gibbon's ass, then they won't hesitate to fine a male "expert" to deny it.

My patience is at an end. There is only the truth, and the people who are afraid to see it. Logic and science has no place in the alt-right.

Well medicated for your protection. ॐ ♡

Anonymous Coward
11/8/2018 7:35 pm EST
11/9/2018 12:35 am GMT

Trump is stirring this nonsense up to deflect attention from the following fact.

In 2016 he LOST the popular vote by 3 million.

How do the numbers look in 2018?

Republicans - 47,613,961
Democrats - 52,009,118

He just LOST the popular vote by 4.4million this time round.

No wonder he wants people to concentrate on his childish tantrums and lies about a press conference where he claimed it was a tremenous result.

katya
11/8/2018 9:15 pm EST
11/9/2018 2:15 am GMT

You sound like a bot with this repetitiousness.

Pocahontas still would not be proud of her as her representative.

Anonymous Coward
11/9/2018 12:30 am EST
11/9/2018 5:30 am GMT

Who the fuck was that "intern" trying to grab the mic?

If anyone "laid hands on" anyone it was her accosting Acosta.

Vox has links to video from a few angles via twitter links. Annoying, I wish they would just post the vid instead of driving it via twatter but hell, what can you do?

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/8/18074966/sarah-sanders-infowars-cnn-jim-acosta-banned

Anonymous Coward
11/9/2018 12:32 am EST
11/9/2018 5:32 am GMT

We're used to hearing Sarah Sanders lie but using doctored videos that have been shared by InfoWars as evidence feels like a whole new tier of assholery that they can't hide from.

They've been hiding in plain sight for four years, if you count the campaign. Why do you think they hate the press so much?

Anonymous Coward
11/9/2018 9:20 am EST
11/9/2018 2:20 pm GMT

You sound like a bot with this repetitiousness.

You sound like you're seriously butthurt with your continuous denials about Trump's unpopularity. He said this election was about him and he is now 4.5million votes behind his opponents.

That is why he and his repulsive team are lying about the Acosta incident to hide away from the facts that he is unpopular with the voters and his unpopularity has risen.

Fact: He LOST by 3 million votes in 2016. He LOST by 4.5million votes in 2018. His LOSSES have increased by 50%.

Fact: Katya will never be able to accept that his supporters are a minority and decreasing in numbers.

Anonymous Coward
11/9/2018 9:43 am EST
11/9/2018 2:43 pm GMT

Maybe if he had choked slammed her Trump would've said "that's my guy".
smiley

Anonymous Coward
11/9/2018 10:10 am EST
11/9/2018 3:10 pm GMT

It's not the first time things have been "edited" to either support Trump's actions or outright lies. The White House edited out Putin's statement about supporting Trump during the election. The Kremlin did the same. This was coordinated.
White House transcript from immigration meeting with Dems. omits Trump agreeing with Sen. Feinstein on a clean DACA bill.
White House alters transcript to clarify that the President is actually really good at . HTH
White House edits transcript of Jared Kushner calling protestors in Gaza 'Part of the Problem'. And that's just a few incidents.

Transcript altering has happened since the first week he entered office. Keeping the US stenographers out of meetings is another problem this admn. has.

The US government promoted falsified evidence against a private citizen to frame him for a crime. Let that sink in.

They lie brazenly, without shame or remorse, because the Trump administration is built upon a foundation of lies, and cannot withstand scrutiny or the truth.

Anonymous Coward
11/9/2018 10:35 am EST
11/9/2018 3:35 pm GMT

Fact: Katya will never be able to accept that his supporters are a minority and decreasing in numbers.

It's not flattering to Trump if you look at the numbers. It won't matter to his supporters because like him, they don't do numbers. They're more about shapes and bright colors.

Anonymous Coward
11/9/2018 2:26 pm EST
11/9/2018 7:26 pm GMT

The purpose of an obvious lie is not to deceive, but to assert state power. To lie in this way is to say to the public, 'We know you know that we are lying, but we do not care, because you have no control over this situation.'

Anonymous Coward
11/10/2018 9:41 am EST
11/10/2018 2:41 pm GMT

To lie in this way is to say to the public, 'We know you know that we are lying, but we do not care, because you have no control over this situation.'

Indeed. It is something that Trump is copying from his idol Vladimir Putin.

Anonymous Coward
11/10/2018 11:49 am EST
11/10/2018 4:49 pm GMT

The joke of "reality has a liberal bias" holds a kernel of truth to it. A lot of conservative ideas don't hold up under scrutiny. They require a campaign of misinformation in order to confuse and frighten people into believing falsehoods. It's a huge con, and no Republican is more of a conman than Trump. They hate the freedom of information, they love it when people are poorly educated. We've not only seen both of these ideas reflected in Trump's actions, but he's outright stated these ideas multiple times.
It's actually frustrating how obvious of a conman Trump is considering how many stupid people still fall for it.

Anonymous Coward
11/10/2018 2:43 pm EST
11/10/2018 7:43 pm GMT

All that proves is that you're a reactionary Dumberiturd.

gg
11/10/2018 8:46 pm EST
11/11/2018 1:46 am GMT

Didn't watch it, but in real time he only brushed her arm.

My Signature

Anonymous Coward
11/10/2018 8:56 pm EST
11/11/2018 1:56 am GMT

Trump needs to go to hell

Anonymous Coward
11/12/2018 7:41 am EST
11/12/2018 12:41 pm GMT

Tucker Carlson is making up shit too. I guess that's all they have left.

Anonymous Coward
11/12/2018 8:27 am EST
11/12/2018 1:27 pm GMT

WH said video not doctored.

I saw Kellyanne say it was sped up, like what they do in sports all the time.

The video wasn't altered, it was just altered! WTF is wrong with these people and who believes this doublespeak?

No need to answer, that was rhetorical. We know who the believers are.

Anonymous Coward
11/12/2018 8:48 am EST
11/12/2018 1:48 pm GMT

Didn't watch it, but in real time he only brushed her arm.

I suppose Trump would be happier if Acosta had tried to grab her by the feminine feline area. That's what real men do when they're not sheltering from the rain in case it messes up their hair.

Anonymous Coward
11/12/2018 9:14 am EST
11/12/2018 2:14 pm GMT

I've watched the doctored version slowed down a few times and you can actually see the ghosting that occurs when a few frames are sped up intentionally. It is superimposed over the original video (I believe on another layer) and the ghosting occurs at the beginning and end of the editing. This wasn't 'accidental from the transfer process' or 'intended to provide clarity like in sports'?!!, it was done intentionally to make it look like a violent gesture. I wonder if it's possible to scrutinize the video's data to glean information about who was responsible?

Anonymous Coward
11/12/2018 9:29 am EST
11/12/2018 2:29 pm GMT

CNN and Acosta should sue the White House, specifically Sara Huckabee.
Trump to be investigated by Congress, the new congress, not the shitty, do nothing, shut the government down twice in 30 days while controlling all 3 branches Congress. Which was a entirely republican controlled congress. The republican controlled government shut down twice in less than 30 days. That congress.
This is going to be fun to watch.

Anonymous Coward
11/12/2018 10:03 am EST
11/12/2018 3:03 pm GMT

I suppose Trump would be happier if Acosta had tried to grab her by the feminine feline area.

Well, to use scientific terms, Trump is what's defined as a "candyass pussy" and needs to exist in a bubble of fawning adoration and praise to survive.

He's a very fragile man, you know.

Page 1, 2

ADVERTISEMENT

Kali Yantra