Microsoft Says Russia Tried to Hack Three 2018 Midterm Election Candidates

Elaine
7/20/2018 10:27 am EST
7/20/2018 3:27 pm GMT

Jul 20, 2018
Microsoft said it detected and helped the US government to block Russian hacking attempts against at least three congressional candidates this year, a Microsoft executive revealed speaking at the Aspen Security Forum today.
Read More

"It is the verk of moose und squirrel!"

Well medicated for your protection. ॐ ♡

Anonymous Coward
7/20/2018 11:07 am EST
7/20/2018 4:07 pm GMT

RE: Microsoft Says Russia Tried to Hack Three 2018 Midterm Election Candidates

It's pretty crazy Microsoft is the one to tell us. I'd like to know who was targeted, but their security teams work with law enforcement agencies, and limit what is said publicly based on guidance received from them.

With the recent defunding of cyber security measures, it's very possible Republicans simply intend to push the necessary buttons, declare themselves the winners, and say they have a mandate.

Thank goodness Bill Gates isn't a traitorous, sniveling little bitch like our president.

Anonymous Coward
7/20/2018 11:25 am EST
7/20/2018 4:25 pm GMT

Thank goodness Bill Gates isn't a traitorous, sniveling little bitch like our president.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLK

Helsinki is what turned my skepticism of Russiagate.

Trump is a piece of shit. He makes W look good by comparison, for fuck's sake. That being said, we had not seen concrete evidence of Trump being compromised by Russia, while we had seen evidence that Russia flooded the US with propaganda and attempted to hack our voting systems. Helsinki showed Trump's demeanor change, where he acted like Putin's own Chris Christie. For a guy like Trump, who loves projecting a strong man image, projecting deference to the historical enemy of the US makes zero sense unless Russia has some power over him, be it the pee tape or Russian mob/business blackmail.

Even though we don't have a smoking gun yet, or a concrete link yet, Helsinki is the strongest evidence to support Trump being at least partially controlled by Russia.

It's the same reason why I didn't go after Clinton for her emails, although I supported the investigation into them. Hell, I'd support a permanent independent prosecutor to investigate every politician.

Elaine
7/20/2018 11:26 am EST
7/20/2018 4:26 pm GMT

It's pretty crazy Microsoft is the one to tell us.

I agree. I find it amazing that anyone would hire Microsoft to head security. But I'm an open source girl, myself.

I'd like to know who was targeted....

Yep. That would be the interesting question.

With the recent defunding of cyber security measures....

Yes, that is also very interesting.
Well medicated for your protection. ॐ ♡

katya
7/20/2018 11:32 am EST
7/20/2018 4:32 pm GMT

Good job for doing their job? Didn't Google recently get some big cloud deal?

Pocahontas would not be proud of her as her representative.

Anonymous Coward
7/20/2018 11:47 am EST
7/20/2018 4:47 pm GMT

Even though we don't have a smoking gun yet, or a concrete link yet, Helsinki is the strongest evidence to support Trump being at least partially controlled by Russia.

Trump's refusal to do anything about the Russian interference in our election should have been your biggest red flag. If they didn't help Trump, why the fuck isn't he trying to protect our elections?

"There was mountains of evidence but I just needed a little more." Jesus Christ people it's been really obvious for two years! So what was different about this?

Helsinki was TELEVISED, no one had to read a headline or a blog. It showed his demeanor and personality changed entirely. He always projects himself as the strongman, yet he rolled over and showed his belly for Putin. We've seen him angry, we've seen him lie every single day, but we've never seen him act submissive until now.

Anonymous Coward
7/20/2018 1:29 pm EST
7/20/2018 6:29 pm GMT

The DoJ will start alerting the public to Russian intrusion.

Kind of seems like something they should have started a long time ago, but better late than never.

Anonymous Coward
7/20/2018 2:12 pm EST
7/20/2018 7:12 pm GMT

The DOJ will be ordered to make warnings only when it benefits the GOP.

Nothing will change as a result of this. People will still be as partisan as ever.

Anonymous Coward
7/20/2018 2:31 pm EST
7/20/2018 7:31 pm GMT

He always projects himself as the strongman

You have to have a really fucked up view of other humans if you look at Trump and think "he's strong."

The guy oozes with insecurity and weakness. Several days ago was just an example where he was juxtaposed next to someone who made it glaring in comparison.

katya
7/20/2018 2:49 pm EST
7/20/2018 7:49 pm GMT

calm down Hillary

..I thought it might be Whoops! Goldberg posting-- same strident shrieking.

Anonymous Coward
7/20/2018 3:22 pm EST
7/20/2018 8:22 pm GMT

Hard-core Trump supporters are beginning to argue that even if Russia did attack the American electoral system, it was actually a good thing because it helped Donald Trump get elected.

This has not yet filtered up to more mainstream Republican figures, but give it some time. When Mueller closes his investigation and presents all his evidence (and more indictments, surely) no one will really be surprised to hear Republican members of Congress and prominent conservative media figures saying that it all worked out for the best because Clinton isn't president, and we should just move on.

The president himself has laid the groundwork for that argument to spread. Not only has he repeatedly cast doubt on whether the attack occurred, he insists that he himself didn't "collude" with Russia, and no matter what, there's no proof that the attack changed votes, as though that would somehow make the whole thing okay.

And true to form, as I was watching C-Span's Washington Journal the other day and a woman called in on the Republican line thanking Russia for interfering with the election.

Anonymous Coward
7/20/2018 3:43 pm EST
7/20/2018 8:43 pm GMT

These people have a life or death emotional stake in Trump. You can't back out now without admitting how wrong you were, so they have to double down. Trump has to prevail because it's all these people have left.

Anonymous Coward
7/20/2018 4:19 pm EST
7/20/2018 9:19 pm GMT

Not only has he repeatedly cast doubt on whether the attack occurred, he insists that he himself didn't "collude" with Russia, and no matter what, there's no proof that the attack changed votes, as though that would somehow make the whole thing okay.

And you may recall that when news broke that his son, son-in-law, and campaign chairman met with a group of Russians in hopes of getting dirt on Clinton, an outreach that had been presented to them as "part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump," the president claimed that "I think from a practical standpoint most people would have taken that meeting," as though working with Russia to defeat his opponent was the most natural thing in the world.
smiley

Anonymous Coward
7/20/2018 5:44 pm EST
7/20/2018 10:44 pm GMT

It may be because they've convinced themselves that no tactic is too repugnant, no alliance is too distasteful, and no moral compromise is too loathsome when you're serving the lofty goal of keeping Democrats from power. Or it may be that they're terrified that their rabid base will decide that they are insufficiently devoted to the cult of Trump. Whatever the reasons, they've traveled a long way down this road already, and it doesn't look like they're turning back.

Anonymous Coward
7/20/2018 5:54 pm EST
7/20/2018 10:54 pm GMT

A lot of people have been saying that Russia hacked the RNC and uncovered a child sex ring. A lot of very smart people, believe me.
smiley

Anonymous Coward
7/20/2018 6:41 pm EST
7/20/2018 11:41 pm GMT

Considering the amount of pedophilia and sexual misconduct, this wouldn't be a surprise.

Those republican politicians that went to Russia during July 4th, probably did so hoping to strike a deal on the hacked RNC computer.

katya
7/20/2018 7:15 pm EST
7/21/2018 12:15 am GMT

smiley

ADVERTISEMENT

Kali Yantra