Manafort indicted on 12 counts, surrenders to FBI

Elaine
10/30/2017 11:29 am EST
10/30/2017 4:29 pm GMT

Oct 30, 2017
Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort is being charged with 12 counts, including conspiracy against the United States, in the first indictment to come from the investigation of special counsel Robert Mueller.
Read More

interesting

Well medicated for your protection. ॐ ♡

smiley

Elaine
10/30/2017 11:53 am EST
10/30/2017 4:53 pm GMT

RE: Manafort indicted on 12 counts, surrenders to FBI

♪ On the first day of #arrestivus
Mueller gave to me .... ♪

katya
10/30/2017 12:14 pm EST
10/30/2017 5:14 pm GMT

...12 counts, between 2006 - 2014, NOT campaign-related...

Pocahontas would not be proud of her as her representative.

Elaine
10/30/2017 12:33 pm EST
10/30/2017 5:33 pm GMT

In order to hide Ukraine payments from United States authorities, from approximately 2006 through at least 2016, MANAFORT and GATES laundered the money through scores of United States and foreign corporations, partnerships and bank accounts.

Manafort-Gates Indictment

2 fuckin' Years!
10/30/2017 2:05 pm EST
10/30/2017 7:05 pm GMT

Trump made a mistake appointing that old bushie neocon fucker to anything. I wouldn't have appointed that guy dog shit collector, let alone dog catcher.

Of course any bushie is going to protect drug dealing buddies the Clintons.

I'm the all time AE ban record holder, 2 fuckin' years!

2 fuckin' Years!
10/30/2017 2:24 pm EST
10/30/2017 7:24 pm GMT

Prosecutors are asking for 10 million bail. That's 1 very large on a bond.

If I sold my hockey card collection I'd still be about a million short. No problem though, maybe the Ukes will flip for it.

Anonymous Coward
10/30/2017 3:46 pm EST
10/30/2017 8:46 pm GMT

...12 counts, between 2006 - 2014, NOT campaign-related...

That's poker, Katya, they wanna see how he plays before they lay out the flush. Whether or not he willing to get in the game. If he accepts those fairly minor charges, but agrees to to provide meaningful information...well then they won't be needing to file a superseding indictment on him now will they?

It's basically an offer for a plea deal, but more than that it's an easier way of letting him come in on his own rather then having to run him down. I mean, do you really think he's going to answer an indictment consisting of High Treason?

But, that is all politicking. The fine print here reads "head of Trump campaign likely colluded."

Two points remain to be seen. Did Trump know, and thusly also commit said crimes? Or....Did Trump not know and he's basically incompetent...

Sure will be bad for him in the long run....either way.

Anonymous Coward
10/30/2017 8:01 pm EST
10/31/2017 1:01 am GMT

The Fix Is In! Obama-Appointed Judge In Manafort Case Dismissed Lawsuit Against Hillary Over Benghazi Attack

By analyzing the track record of U.S. District Magistrate Judge Deborah A. Robinson, it looks like the fix was in when it comes to Paul Manafort's case. Robinson appears to be sympathetic to Democrats, as she was appointed by former President Obama and previously donated to former President Bill Clinton's campaign.

Robinson also "dismissed a lawsuit brought against former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by relatives of victims of the 2012 Benghazi attack," reports Fox News.

http://www.funwithfascists.com/2017/10/fix-obama-appointed-judge-manafort-case-dismissed-lawsuit-hillary-benghazi-attack/
smiley

2 fuckin' Years!
10/30/2017 9:26 pm EST
10/31/2017 2:26 am GMT

Reminds me of the last segment of Conspiracy of Silence I watched for the first time about 15 years ago.

Went something like... when you control the police, the justice department, the media, you own the system. You can make right wrong, good, evil.

Never should have let the corruption get this bad.

Anonymous Coward
10/30/2017 10:01 pm EST
10/31/2017 3:01 am GMT

Prosecutors are asking for 10 million bail. That's 1 very large on a bond.

I can tell you two reasons why. First, he is a flight risk even if they have confiscated his passport. He is not a general or specific risk to the public.

Second, If they can secure that amount in a cash bond, not 10% that people pay to a bail bondsman, they can keep it pending the outcome of proceedings and levy it towards any financial penalties.

Third, just occurred to me, the longer he is in club fed, the more likely he is to talk. They would be fools to try the jailhouse informant approach. What they can do is make his stay as uncomfortable as possible. All phone calls are recorded. They likely will listen in on his lawyer meetings but will only use that information to secure outside information for more indictments.

Mueller went for the big fish first. Other people need to be running scared because the fed now has the leverage. It is possible that Manafort will not talk and take his time like a man. But they have ways of breaking him. In custody they can deny you ALL kinds of rights and privileges. They regulate when you can shit, shower and shave. No commissary and the food is not even one star cuisine.

This is going to be very, very interesting. He posts bail, he risks losing it.

Anonymous Coward
10/31/2017 3:09 am EST
10/31/2017 8:09 am GMT

ThT Orange bastard is going down when these Ivy League bitches start to sing

Anonymous Coward
10/31/2017 3:28 am EST
10/31/2017 8:28 am GMT

2. Fuckin years,

Even Obama told Donnie not to bring Manafort on

Maybe you'll admit Trump hoodwinked you just like he did to millions of others

trump was friends with Hillary for years, part of the club

You were hoodwinked

Anonymous Coward
10/31/2017 3:28 am EST
10/31/2017 8:28 am GMT

2. Fuckin years,

trump was friends with Hillary for years, part of the club

You were hoodwinked

Anonymous Coward
10/31/2017 9:22 pm EST
11/1/2017 2:22 am GMT

What did I tell you? Manafort allegedly had three passports.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/manafort-gates-pose-serious-risk-flight-says-mueller-n816246?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

"The defendants pose a risk of flight based on the serious nature of the charges, their history of deceptive and misleading conduct, the potentially significant sentences the defendants face, the strong evidence of guilt, their significant financial resources, and their foreign connections," Mueller's office wrote in a bail memo unsealed Tuesday.

In the memo, Mueller's office calculated the possible maximum sentences under federal sentencing guidelines if Manafort and Gates were convicted. Gates could serve up to 12 years and seven months and Manafort is facing up to 15 years and eight months in prison, the prosecutors said.

In emphasizing the strength of the case against the two men, Mueller's office noted that a federal judge had allowed Mueller to compel grand jury testimony from their former lawyer under what is known as the "crime-fraud exception" to attorney-client privilege.

Ladies and gentlemen, the train has left the station.

Anonymous Coward
11/1/2017 9:46 pm EST
11/2/2017 2:46 am GMT

Let's look at the real possibilities. Trump can't pardon Manafort or Gates without serious backlash - like Dems taking over congress and impeaching him. jI don't think he would last that long because the republicans desperately need to save their asses in the 2018 election. Why do you think so many congressmen aren't running for re-election?

Pardons.

Vox has been doing these great articles where they ask ten different experts, usually legal, their opinions. This one is on the possibility and reality of the POTUS pardoning his likely partners in crime.

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/29/16211784/trump-pardon-mueller-constitution-russia

Then there is the whole question of him trying to fire Mueller. If he persists in that option, I predict as those who are better situated with information than I am, that he will be impeached post haste.

There is already enough evidence for "high crimes and misdemeanors" and now they have two big fish, the smaller of which has been singing. My guess is that Manafort will not talk until others are indicted; or conversely that he has already talked and they have kept it quiet to gain further indictments in lieu of a sentence reduction. Manafort is going to do time.

This will not end well.

LTH
11/2/2017 4:53 am EST
11/2/2017 9:53 am GMT

I don't understand...they got a few guys but when do they arrest Trump so Hillary the real president can take her seat in the white house?

Anonymous Coward
11/2/2017 5:09 am EST
11/2/2017 10:09 am GMT

No. Hillary will not be president. There is a line of succession. The next guy on the totem pole gets to move up. I'm guessing of the "lower" ones Tillerson will quit before that happens; Mnuchin has too many skeletons, including his wife; and Sessions is in line for an indictment for lying to federal agents.

In Trump's administration, here's the full line of succession.

Vice President Mike Pence.
Speaker of the House Paul Ryan.
Senate President Pro Tempore Orrin Hatch.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin.
Secretary of Defense James Mattis.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Anonymous Coward
11/2/2017 5:44 am EST
11/2/2017 10:44 am GMT

Maybe Manafort was the hoodwinker? Maybe Manafort colluded so he could get Chump to pardon what he knew was coming, or he underestimated the entire campaign and thought he could keep living his lie?

As for your reference in the first sentence of this quote, are you referring to Obama's denial of Manafort's security clearance, or some other communication?

Just like Chump to ignore good advice and "trust his instincts". Is that why Congress is contemplating legislation to stop him from bombing DPRK and firing Mueller?

Only an ice cube in hell can predict what this idiot will do next.

Prep the nuke shelters, he's going to need a huge distraction from the shitpool that has just opened.

Anonymous Coward
11/3/2017 2:02 pm EST
11/3/2017 7:02 pm GMT

Obama warned Trump about Flynn, not Manafort.

Anonymous Coward
11/3/2017 8:27 pm EST
11/4/2017 1:27 am GMT

http://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-introduce-bill-to-remove-bob-mueller-from-special-counsel-2017-11

WASHINGTON – A group of conservative Republican lawmakers introduced a resolution on Friday calling for Robert Mueller to recuse himself as the special counsel investigating Russia's interference in the 2016 US election and whether President Donald Trump's campaign team colluded with Moscow.

Reps. Matt Gaetz of Florida, Andy Biggs of Arizona, and Louie Gohmert of Texas say Mueller should step down because he was the FBI director in 2010 when US government agencies approved the sale of Uranium One, a Canadian energy company, to a Russian nuclear-energy firm. The deal required approval because Uranium One had mining operations in the US.

Gaetz says the issue is that Mueller's FBI had found evidence of criminal activity that may have been relevant to the deal but did not bring any charges, and that Mueller therefore should recuse himself from the current investigation.

HA! I managed to evade the "you can't read because you have an ad blocker.

Fuckers.

More info to come.

Anonymous Coward
11/3/2017 8:34 pm EST
11/4/2017 1:34 am GMT

hhttps://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/03/us/politics/trump-campaign-page-russian.html

Carter Page continues to lie like a cheap rug.

I can't believe that Manafort is out on UNSECURED $10 mil bond. Odds are that he's going to flee, even though they confiscated his six or so passports. A guy like that can get one at the drop of a hat.

He will go to Russia or a Russian controlled territory and we will never see him again.

Anonymous Coward
11/3/2017 8:39 pm EST
11/4/2017 1:39 am GMT

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insider/2017/08/16/the-manafort-raid-and-the-privilege-fights-to-come/#150c0d5637eb

Brian Jacobs, Conributor

Last week, multiple media sources reported that as part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's Russia inquiry, investigators executed a court-authorized search warrant at the Alexandria, Virginia home of Paul J. Manafort, President Trump's former campaign chairman. Shortly after these reports surfaced, John Dowd, who represents President Trump in the Russia inquiry, sent an email to at least one Wall Street Journal reporter calling the raid a "gross abuse of the judicial process" more akin to methods "found and employed in Russia not America." Mr. Dowd also suggested that problems with the raid could lead to a "Motion to Suppress the fruits of the search." It will likely be many months before a court could be called upon to decide a suppression motion, but Mr. Dowd's comments give clues as to some issues that might arise on such a motion, and also highlight challenges facing the Special Counsel.

Yeah right.

Anonymous Coward
11/3/2017 8:42 pm EST
11/4/2017 1:42 am GMT

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/09/the-surprising-scope-of-michael-flynns-dubious-business-deals/539733/

A bit dated (9/13) but the Atlantic is good journalism.

Anonymous Coward
11/4/2017 4:32 am EST
11/4/2017 9:32 am GMT

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/judge-proposes-may-7-trial-date-for-former-trump-aide-manafort/

This is the entirety of the story.

A federal judge on Friday proposed a May 7 trial date for former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort and associate Rick Gates, who were indicted on charges including money laundering, according to a court filing.

U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson set a Monday hearing to address the proposed trial date in the case, which stemmed from special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into whether Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election.

Anonymous Coward
11/4/2017 5:35 am EST
11/4/2017 10:35 am GMT

If you want to read the response challenging the search, it is embedded in this link:

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/manafort-will-challenge-evidence-uncovered-by-muellers-no-knock-raid/

Basically, he's saying the search warrant was not valid, overbroad or that the search went beyond the scope of the warrant, and that the evidence should be suppressed. Standard, and if not challenged now he could argue later on ineffective representation. But the goal is to quash the evidence seized in the raid.

The usual argument is that items seized in the search were not listed in the warrant, which is governed by the Fourth Amendment.

Anonymous Coward
11/6/2017 2:56 am EST
11/6/2017 7:56 am GMT

I have no doubt that Manafort will flip. He's asking for travel privileges between NY and FL.The latter is a quick jump to Cuba and other destinations that have no extradition treaty.

Instead of giving him an ankle monitor they need to chip him and not just under the skin where he can easily remove it.

Have a couple of feds with him 100% if they let him go. He is one of the most important witnesses in history. And the intelligence community has an ax to grind with trump.

The goose is cooked.

Elaine
11/6/2017 10:51 am EST
11/6/2017 3:51 pm GMT

And the intelligence community has an ax to grind with trump.

yep

Anonymous Coward
11/6/2017 2:36 pm EST
11/6/2017 7:36 pm GMT

The latest: Mueller doesn't have a problem with current bond conditions; judge needs both sides to work it out before she will impose any more.

This was my lunch break drive by:

http://nypost.com/2017/11/06/judge-tries-to-order-stricter-bond-restrictions-on-paul-manafort/

I know there are better articles, and I'll find them later, no night shift for me today.

He is on GPS, and I'll add more about that later.

Anonymous Coward
11/6/2017 10:29 pm EST
11/7/2017 3:29 am GMT

GPS can be thwarted.

It's an ankle monitor that is locked on. You wear it in the shower etc. I pilot tested one for three days as part of a job. The one I used had an alcohol monitor. Alcohol is passed through the lungs, urine and skin.

They came to my house and had me walk the perimeter so that their computers could log my at home boundaries.

The manufacturers insist that there is no way to remove it undetected. There is, and few cases make the news.

What GPS does, if you monitor in real time, gives you about a 25 foot accuracy on location. Most criminals on GPS have their whereabouts monitored only if an alarm is set off. And that can take 24 hours to follow up on.

When you are assigned a GPS device and the parameters are set, they can also include your work schedule, program in your time out (e.g. I get to grocery shop or go to church at such and such a time.)

So you get stuck on house arrest. Guess what flies under the radar: your visitors.

A criminal can conduct business from the comfort of their own home simply by having accomplices make a home stop.

This is significant in areas that are considered "Urban Canyons" where not only can you not get accurate GPS signals (that 25 feet thing) but your neighbor's internet might interfere.

Think about it this way. If you are a child molester and have GPS in Trump Tower, you could, theoretically go a few floors up or down, across the hall, and the signal is not good enough to know that you have even moved.

With sex offenders, it has been used in cases to prove proximity. But proximity does not prove an offense.

Therefore, it leaves a lot of reasonable doubt. What is the standard for conviction? Beyond a raesonable doubt.

Anonymous Coward
11/6/2017 10:37 pm EST
11/7/2017 3:37 am GMT

Most analytical and legal commentary as an AC was me. The long parts. Same with the death penalty thread. I don't log in, cuz of trolls.
~ta~

I will keep on this one. Appreciate all readers and debaters.

Don't forget Veterans Day is November 11th.

Forum

Archives

Browse

Paypal

ADVERTISEMENT

Solar & Geomagnetic
Conditions
status
kpstatus

CURRENT MOON

ADVERTISEMENT

Kali Yantra